Monday, February 14, 2011

Ice Climbing - Provo Canyon

Years ago, after stopping to look at a photo of someone climbing a waterfall, my wife asked me if I would ever go ice climbing. I think she was hoping that I'd say no, and that's exactly what I said. But it was more like, "Are you kidding me? Those guys are nuts. They're just waiting for a crampon point to slip or a giant icicle to take their head off."

Fast forward a few years and I'm totally hooked on climbing ice. I'm not sure what it is, but it probably has something do with the fact that you don't need a hold to move up the vertical face of the ice, you make your own. It's almost like being Spider-Man, only Spider-Man is covered in spikes that could sever an artery or tendon if he takes a fall. I'm not sure how I made the move from being scared to death of climbing ice to staring out of my cubicle window at the frozen mountains and wishing I were up there kicking and stabbing the ice.

I'm fortunate to live in a really great area for outdoor recreation. I'm just 10 minutes from Provo Canyon and 15 minutes from Rock Canyon and American Fork Canyon. Three playgrounds full of rock climbing, mountain biking, skiing, cycling, mountaineering and snowshoeing. Provo Canyon is probably my favorite, it's not only close, but it seems to have the widest variety of things to do. This is also where you can find a lot of great ice to climb. We have an excellent ice formation that comes in each year called Stairway to Heaven. The bottom pitch is a large thick apron with bolts above for top roping love. It's a great place to hone your skills and get into early season condition for tougher and sketchier ice. Depending on the year and the height at which the ice forms, Stairway to Heaven has the potential to be the longest ice climb in the US, 800 ft.

Along with Stairway to Heaven, there are at least 4 other decent pitches of ice to climb in Provo Canyon. On cold Saturday mornings every inch of ice is covered in climbers, too many for my taste. I usually go climbing after work, which means by the time I hike to the base of the climb daylight is pretty much gone. This means solitude and and no one knocking ice on you from above. A good headlamp is all that is needed, you're only working in an 8 ft. space of ice anyway. Everything above and below is extraneous and not to be thought about anyway. Many times I've been up on the ice and heard cars honking as they drive by on the highway several hundred feet below. It must look like quite a site from below to see an illuminated sheet of ice with some crazy person on the wall like some deranged fly on a wall. I wonder what they think when I take a fall?

I've been lucky to have discovered the joys of ice climbing in the modern times. Ice climbing gear has seen a lot of advances over the last few years. I've recently acquired some new crampons and ice tools(ice axes for technical ice climbing). If you're not in the ice climbing circles then you probably have no idea of the current debate of whether crampons with mono or dual points are better. I went back and forth between the two when trying to decide which to buy for my new set of crampons. I found the solution, local gear innovators Black Diamond have created the Cyborg crampons which can switch from dual to mono with the twist of an hex wrench and a spacer. I haven't switched to the mono yet as we've had warm spells and the ice has been mushy in parts and I've wanted the security of dual points. If we don't get a good cold snap I may just switch to the mono-point when I do some dry tooling or mixed climbing in spring.


I really love these new Black Diamond Cyborg
crampons, especially for the variety of conditions in which I've climbed recently. They come complete with anti-balling plates for glacier use as well as just keeping the snow from collecting underfoot on the trek from the car to the base of the climb. All this gear costs a lot of money it's nice when you get the product and use it and don't wish you had your money back.


5 comments:

  1. Ryan, nice job on the blogging. We totally have to get out and do some more. If you're interested in dry-tooling, I know a place where we can "get away with it" in a few weeks after work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous of the ice climbing! Growing up rock climbing, I always wanted to try it, but even Scotland doesn't provide anything sufficient as far as I am aware. I have never known anyone with enough knowledge, or been able to justify the one off expense of the equipment if I couldn't go regularly :(

    As for snowshoeing, again never found anyone to go with me in Utah, almost went this last winter down here, but without snow being just up the road snowboarding still takes priority on any winter mountain day ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ben Nevis my friend, though it looks pretty narly.
    http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/petzl-tv/videos/mountaineering/ice-climbing-ben-nevis

    Get a snack it's a long video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting video, I would call it more 'icy climbing' than ice climbing, or mixed climbing at best. Hearing all the French guys whinging about the lack of protection through bolts and seeing the damage they do while dry tooling, and with their mixed climbing on Nevis, I find myself somewhat torn.

    I have been traditional and top rope climbing since I was about 10. I got into sport and bolt climbing in my teens but have gone back to traditional where possible.

    It's not that I have a problem with bolts, they open up a lot of climbs that would not be possible without them and allow for climber development. I grew up doing traditional cliff climbing, and then quarry climbing (severe lack of mountains in the UK) - Also with tor climbing on Dartmoor, bolts are essential, but I also saw people damaging/destroying fantastic traditional climbs with bolts. I have seen worse damage from dry tooling.

    Again I understand the need to dry tool in order to increase skill and confidence, but every lover of the great outdoors needs to remember that there are others out there who use the same areas for different reasons ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. I'm going to do some dry tooling this year, but plan on staying off of traditional climbing routes. I can appreciate whole heartedly the no-bolt ethic of the most of the U.K., especially on climbs where traditional protection is available. I watched a video of climbing in Ukraine where not only do they not allow bolts, but they don't even allow metal pro. The climbers there use knots of rope to stick in cracks. Chalk is not allowed either, since it mars up the rock as well.

    ReplyDelete