Thursday, March 22, 2012

Climbing Therapy

Sorry, yes another climbing post. With the lack of other things to do this time of year rock (plastic) climbing and winter mountaineering (and it’s subsets – snowshoeing/hiking) are about all there is to do right now.  A few nights ago, when my buddy was hanging on a route, waiting out a stiff forearm pump so he could work out a sequence, I had a brief conversation with this girl that was brand new to rock climbing. She was there with, what I presume, was her boyfriend, or given that the gym is near BYU it could have even been her husband. He had walked off to find a new route and she started asking me questions about rock climbing. How long I had been at it, strength and form, etc. I encouraged her to keep at it and both form and strength would come around.  She seemed encouraged, thanked me, and walked away with her slightly irritated boyfriend.

I realized at that point that I had gone to the gym in kind of a bad mood and wasn’t in a bad mood anymore. Not because of the conversation, but because of climbing. When you’re working a hard route, gritting out a sequence of small holds, it’s impossible to think about anything but the route and not falling, even on a top rope.  Climbing is very therapeutic. There are a lot of things out there that people find to be their own brand of therapy. Climbing happens to be a very good one for me.

There is one particular 5.10d route that I’m working at The Quarry. It starts out jogging to the left a bit on an overhanging wall, up onto a vertical wall on thin-ish holds, until the crux sequence with a big undercling movement to some big jugs above the roof.  I haven’t quite made it to the crux, just working the sequence to the hold right below it. When I made it to my high point on Saturday I had literally sprinted up the wall to get there, knowing that there was no place to rest or chalk up, and my fingers don’t have the strength to dawdle on those small holds. I made a diving grab for a decent hold and (because of poor foot hold choices) just missed it. I was left swinging out above everyone. My heart was racing and it felt good.

My own physical weight is more than enough to haul up a route, I can’t possibly carry any mental or emotional baggage up as well. If it’s a tough route I don’t think you have a choice. Everything but your harness, shoes and chalk bag stays on the deck. Fighting to move through thin holds to get to the next jug is a pointless endeavor in the scope of the existence we lead here on Earth. But, in terms of mental, and to some degree physical health, it’s incredibly helpful. By the time I walked out the door to my car that night I didn’t care about whatever it was that had put me in the bad mood, it just didn’t seem to matter.

I enjoy climbing. I like the mental and physical test that it provides. I can push myself through physical pain and the mental fear to accomplish new things. It’s fun to work on new skills. Focusing on using my feet better, maybe back step or drop-knee to make better use of a good stance. Ultimately, it’s the opportunity to forget the cares of the world for a few hours that I like the best. I don’t think it’s running away from life’s problems, it’s providing a fresh perspective. Put your day/week through a few hours of fun, fear and pain then deal with whatever is important enough to stick around afterward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment